OutcomeI started well, but did get passed by too many people in the first thirty minutes before settling into a good rhythm. Around the halfway point, the front shifting started to go bad, and soon the crankset was hitting the chain keeper. There was a lot of metal-on-metal shrieking. I think that that added resistance didn't help my time.
I rode conservatively, perhaps a bit too conservatively. Conditions were ideal: dry, and about 50F at the start.
The two plots below show how badly I faded on the second lap. I suppose that could be due to the grinding crankset.
The dashed red lines are regressions to the first sixty minutes of the race in 2016 and 2015. In 2015 I actually went faster during the middle of the race. In 2016, the wheels started to come off about an hour in.
Heart rate was also off from previous years:
The course was longer than in 2015, and some of the nastier muddy narrow-track was gone. All that made a cyclocross bike the right choice. The new section was added to the mini-loop of 2012-2015, across the pedestrian bridge near the start.
Most of the course is fire roads:
|I was near this guy for 40 of the 50 miles|
About 20% is narrower track
With some stream crossings thrown in.
- Specialized Crux
- Stans No-Tubes alpha 340 with Challenge "Gravel Grinder" 38s @ 50psi
- 2016: 49.4 miles in 3:15:47 82/342 overall and 10/55 in 50+
- 2015: 45.4 miles in 3:28:47 58/252 overall and 5/38 in the 50+
- 2014: DNF--two flats before the 1/2-way point
- 2013: 47.7 miles in 3:05:23 71/382 overall and 9/46 in 50+
- 2012: 3:17:33 58/336 overall and 12/50 in 40-49
Links to results
Less than 2 hours door to door. Got there at 8:05 in plenty of time